Sunday, December 11, 2005

Think IBM

Yes, 30 of my batchmates (including me) have already thot and got IBM.. :) IBM came over today to recruit people. And it really filled in for TCS.. Initially TCS was expected to be the mass recruiter but it didn't happen so. Today, IBM gave smiles to nearly 50+ faces. Can you believe this? More than 50% of total strength is now placed - TCS, Adobe, IBM ..

IBM came over to recruit students in 3 different sections - Application Management Services (AMS) or Global Services, IBM Software Labs and Engineering and Technology group (E&T) or the VLSI grp. Everyone did expect it to take some 25 to 30 people but hiring such high strength definitely helped people to be relieved psychologically. ISL took just one from BTech (Ashish Lohia) and one from MTech, E&T took some 5 students (Puneet Maheshwari from BTech and rest from MTech) and finally the mass recruiter of the day, AMS, took some 50 students (29 to 30 BTech and rest MTech). A team of around 20 people was here. They had 8 simulataneous panels for interviews and everything got wrapped up so soon. There were 2 really sweet ladies in the team :)

Some 130 people wrote the examination, 60+9+9 were short listed for all 3 sections and finally most of them made thru. So, that's not really an issue to feel proud of. May be, one got selected cause they had to take masses. But that definitely is a reason to be happy and to boost up oneself to work hard and get recruited in the dream companies that are coming up. Some big names like Microsoft, Yahoo, Synopsis, DeShaw, CA etc are coming up though most of them (given earlier) are now dropped. Anyways, lets hope for the best.

Ya, so this wasy how I experienced the complete process. We had an initial test for everyone. There were 40 questions in total - 25 aptitude and 15 technical. I probably got all the technical questions correct (they were really really easy) but did screw up my aptitude part. Luckily, I got a call for interviews (my guesses must have worked ;)). My tech went really well. It was diverted to whichever direction I wanted it to go. I started off with my project explanations. They asked about the SDLC models, Normalizations, Inheritence and a couple of quesions related to project. They were kind of impressed with the communications skills and though genuinly m not that gr8 technically, surprizingly they found me technically quite competent. It jes went for some 20 minutes I guess. Next was the HR round. I had this for some 1 hour. Ya, it was pretty long. Probably I tend to talk a lot I guess. Especially, when it comes over to convince and impress someone ;) .. He was actually quite impressed with whatever I told him. In the HR round, he did ask me about 2 of my projects. Just the outline. Nothing technical. Middleware catches a lot of attention. So people, if u do mention middleware in your resume, do haev a fair knowledge about it.

So, what next. I was almsot confident of getting thru especially with the feedback from the coordinators that they're looking out to select atleast 50 people. IBM is a big brand in itself and I am happy to have been selected for the same. Dad told me this - "beta, do not look down upon the company because its got a low packaeg. But do look up for getting better opportunities. So, be happy. You've got a great name attached with you now and work hard for future companies." Guess, family seems to have in more confidence in their child once he/she is selected for a company. Atleast they now know that am capable of something ;)

So, I hope that the best opportunities knock at my door and I do grab them all. And I wish that I do not really get too much lenient towards the placement preparation now. There's lot more that one needs to achieve. GOD bless.

1 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger s said...

congratulations dude!
be happy .. anything above ZERO i positive.
But that doesnt means you should stop learning. The day you are content you'll stop learning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home